Write for us!
At SKAPE, we are always looking for new blogs to contribute to the debate around the relationships between science, knowledge and policy. If you are interested in contributing a blog for us, or re-posting a blog, then please feel free to get in touch!
On this page, we summarise our suggested tips for writing a good blog post for our audience, and how to submit it to us.
For your blog, we suggest the following:
- Your argument: given the short nature of blogs, we suggest that you keep the argument simple and only have one ‘hook’ or key idea
- Word count: keep the blog between 800 and 1,300 words – this seems to be a ‘sweet spot’ for reading shorter pieces.
- Language: please keep it jargon free where possible. This might not be possible, so define key terms where needed.
- Style guide: we generally follow your lead as the blog is a space for you to express your views. We can discuss any style requirements by email.
- References: we generally do not have a bibliography at the end of blog pieces, instead we integrate them through hyperlinks in the main body of the blog.
How to submit
Once you have completed your blog, we ask that you send it to our Co-Director, Dr Marc Geddes. Please include:
- Your blog, including the title and text with embedded hyperlinks
- A suggested cover image with copyright information (if stuck, try Unsplash)
- Any other graphs/images/figures that you might like included
- A short bio, which will be added to the end of your blog post (headshot optional)
We will aim to publish blogs on a regular basis, and we will email you within seven days of submitting a blog with next steps. Please note that publication is at the discretion of SKAPE.